This past Saturday, I was the guest of Sizzling Communications for the fourth edition of their Reel Eats dinner series. The film that was the inspiration for the evening's all-veg menu was Mira Nair's Monsoon Wedding.
The chefs behind the wedding feast were Nettie Cronish, Arvinda and Preena Chauhan of Arvinda's Indian Spice Blends and Vanessa Yeung of our co-host, Aphrodite Cooks. The ladies came up with a delightful meat-free menu that was served family-style, while we were regaled with Indian-themed storytelling from Abdullah Aumeer, Jasmine D'Costa and Naomi Duguid.
Monsoon Wedding Menu
- Aditi's apricot black lentil soup with masala spices
- Hemant's crisp pappadum wafers
- Roasted cashew curry with cauliflower and peas
- Sumptuous saag paneer: Indian cheese in a creamy sauce with spinach
- Wedding Day mattar rice pullao: basmati rice with peas
- Celebratory channa masala: chick pea curry
- Cooling mint & cilantro raita with mild spices, served with cilantro sesame garlic toasted naan
- Sweet Endings: vanilla coconut chai spiced ice cream with sliced mangoes
- Aromatic and Romantic: masala chai featuring Arvinda's premium chai blend
Highlights for me included the pappadums (so light, crisp and flavourful), the saag paneer, which is one of my all-time favourite Indian dishes and, of course, the ice cream dessert. And I was reminded each time I looked up from my plate that I really need to watch Monsoon Wedding again!
It was a fun evening, and the layout makes for easy conversation with those around you, whether known or new to you. It's a relaxed, cozy event with some delicious food. Check the Reel Eats page for what's in store for May, as I know they're very close to finalizing the event.