I guess I forget sometimes that not everyone eats their feelings. There is pain in this house, and I did what I always do in the face of pain. I cooked.
This omelette was my way of trying to provide some comfort, and doing something in the face of helplessness. Two servings sit untouched, and now cold, on the counter, like the pretty girl in the corner that no-one is brave enough to ask for a dance...
What's in it:
- 6 eggs
- a splash of milk, beaten into eggs
- 1 tsp basil pesto, beaten into eggs
- a large handful of fine cubed ham, sautéed
- 8 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- a large handful of baby spinach, wilted into the sautéed ham
- a large handful of grated asiago cheese
Once the ham and spinach were ready, I tossed in the tomato pieces and poured the egg mixture over it all. I then popped it into a 325° oven until nearly set. Then I sprinkled the cheese on top and broiled until golden and puffed.
Update: They eventually ate the food, albeit reheated, and loved it. And apparently, neither of them are fans of eggs. I feel much better now.