My friend Diana is very pregnant right now, and since it's been so long since the four of us had gotten together, we decided to treat her to high tea at the Windsor Arms as a kind of just-for-her baby shower.
From the tea selection, Di had Eve's Temptation, Amber tried Black Velvet, Lemon Verbena Tisane for Alanna and I braved the Russian Caravan. I was intrigued by the Lapsang Souchong, which was described in the tea lecture I went to this week. The smokiness of the tea was a bit overwhelming to the nose, but on the tongue, the bergamot in this blend helped to temper it.
I'll let the menu items speak for themselves...
- Fresh Scones with Preserves and Devon Cream
- Smoked Salmon and Salmon Caviar with an Oven-Roasted Tomato Cream Cheese
- Baby Greens with Asparagus, Cucumber Salsa and Chive Cream Cheese
- Grilled Chicken with Citrus Essence
- Goat Cheese and Caramelized Shallot Tart
- Berries and Whipped Cream
- Petits Fours
Everything was delicious, but my hands-down favourite was the goat cheese and shallot tart. The way the sweetness of the caramelized shallots blended with the tartness of the goat cheese and the richness of the pastry was pure win. Second best was the smoked salmon and caviar sandwich. Sea-salty goodness.
To see more pictures from our afternoon, check out my Ladies Who Tea set on flickr.