I improvised another soup last night and OMG, it turned out sooooooo good. Rich and tomato-ey and the seafood was cooked perfectly. I had a vague idea that I wanted to do some kind of fish soup or stew, so picked up a few items on the way home.
Here's how it all came together.
- ½ an onion, thinly sliced
- 1 c. vegetable stock
- 1 c. water
- 1 c. diced tomatoes
- 2 medium potatoes, cut into small cubes
- 100 g. (about half a packet) of sliced mushrooms
- 220 g. haddock fillet (or other white fish)
- 220 g. salmon fillet
- 6-8 large scallops, halved
- 12-15 calamari rings, halved
- salt & pepper to taste
- juice of ½ a lemon
- juice of one lime
- shot of tequila or white wine
Put tomatoes, stock, onion, potatoes and salt and pepper in a large pot. If using lime and teq Cook on medium high until potatoes are soft. Transfer to blender and puree until smooth.
Return soup to the pot and lower heat to medium low. Add the fish and mushrooms and simmer until mushrooms are soft (20-25 minutes). Yields 4-6 servings.
Serve and enjoy.